Following the victorious 11-3 vote in the CA Assembly Committee on Health on January 11, AB 1400 now advances to the Assembly Committee on Appropriations, to be heard in a non-public session on Thursday, January 20, 2022.
In preparation for the Appropriations hearing, PANA member Steven Gibson initiated a meeting with the staff of Appropriations Chair, Chris Holden (AD 41). Holden was “not able to attend the meeting” but constituents from AD 41 and a diverse group of community representatives shared various reasons for why AB 1400 should be supported by the committee and advanced to a floor vote by January 31.
The constituents and community advocates spoke passionately about various reasons for Holden to support AB 1400:
Teachers and mothers described how kids in Pasadena will directly benefit as a result of this bill.
It was pointed out how Asian immigrants and especially elderly Asians and Pacific Islanders will benefit since they have high percentages of seniors and bilingual needs.
Healthcare organizers described how the nurses and healthcare workers in major local hospitals around Pasadena are strong supporters of AB 1400 since their union is one of the initiators of the bill. About 2,500 nurses at Huntington Memorial, Arcadia Methodist, and San Gabriel Valley Med. Center are represented or affiliated with the CA Nurses Association.
- Steven Gibson, Democrats of Foothill Pasadena, Progressive Asian Network for Action – Coordinating Committee, 41st AD delegate.
- David Monkawa, Save Our Seniors Network, Progressive Asian Network for Action, Past Organizing Dir. with the CA Nurses Assoc. directed union organizing drives at Pasadena’s
- Huntington Memorial and built citywide healthcare coalition.
- Tina Fredericks, Former teacher and activist with Pasadena Unified School District, and Democratic Party delegate with 41st AD.
- Max Cottrell, CA Nurses Assoc. Organizer, the CA Nurses Assoc. represents about 2,500 nurses and healthcare workers who work in AD 41.
- Julie McKune, retired teacher Pasadena Unified Scholl District, League of Women Voters – Assembly Delegate with 41st AD
- Mindy Pfeiffer, retired teacher, Assembly Delegate for 41st AD.
- Kevin Mulligan, Chief of Staff, Assemblyperson Chris Holden, 41st Assembly District
Send a letter of support for AB 1400:
Send a letter to the Appropriations Committee